Blogger Widgets

Thursday, October 27, 2011

FAQ: "What mixing software do you use?"

This post begins the first in a hopeful series, "FAQ". I have a dedicated page for this for you to submit your own questions but I will also consider creating a FormSpring account if that ends up being a more preferred choice for people. This isn't exclusive to questions I receive on my blog. You can also ask via Twitter, Facebook, or I could just pull questions people ask in conversation. Before you say "But I don't want to be mentioned as the one asking the question!". Don't worry, I won't credit the original person unless they specifically ask. All questions will be categorized and listed on the "FAQ" page on this blog.

So I got this question earlier this week. Two people asked me in the same day. Their questions were slightly different but kind of go hand-in-hand so I'll answer both.

Q: "What mixing software do you use?"

I've gone back and forth between music software but right now I'm using a combination depending on what I'm using it for.

In terms of mashups, I am now using Mixcraft 5.

Click to get Mixcraft!
Previously I had used Magix Music Maker 12 but found it really frustrating at times. Mixcraft is fairly simple to learn and was the cheapest option of the top reviewed software I found. I am also using Mixcraft to create music for "Insomnia", a new project I'm working (TBD).

As far as my guitar recordings, I use Pro Tools

Pro Tools Essentials
Now I don't have the full Pro Tools, which is quite expensive in my opinion. This was actually a cheaper limited version that I got specifically for guitar recordings. I put the separate tracks into the program and record on top of them. This program also comes with guitar effects and more. This is what I'm currently using for my demos.

For drum recordings I use Audacity and my laptop with a Rock Band USB microphone. Not the best option but it works for now.

Audacity is Free!
Q: "Why don't you make any dubstep music?"

I'm slowly becoming a big fan of dubstep, and other electronic sub-genres. However, I wouldn't know where to start with making dubstep mixes. It is completely new to me and I'm not familiar with it. I'm already branching out to something new with "Insomnia" so I don't think I'll be taking on another challenge that's outside my comfort zone. I also was asked what software is good for dubstep mixes. Again, I have no clue. You'll have to do a little research for that one.

If you have any other questions, just ask and I'll answer!